Is There a Dark Mode for Windows 11?Windows 11 includes a built-in dark mode which will automatically switch Windows to a dark theme. This feature works very similar to the Windows 10 dark theme feature introduced to Window 10 by an update patch, but it’s available in Windows 11 by default, without anything extra to download or install.
Here’s how to enable dark mode in Windows 11:
- Right-click the Windows icon on the taskbar.
- Click Settings.
- Click Personalization.
- Click Themes.
- Click the drop-down menu in the choose your mode section.
- Click Dark.
- Windows 11 will automatically switch to dark mode.
Can You Make Windows Dark Mode?Windows dark mode is a feature built into Windows 11, so you don’t have to make it, you just have to turn it on. However, Windows 11 does allow for a little bit of customization. If you choose custom instead of light or dark, you can set light and dark mode independently for the Windows interface and apps, in case you prefer dark mode for Windows itself and light mode for apps, or the other way around. You can also set a custom highlight color and have it appear in windows and the taskbar.
Here’s how to use the Windows 11 dark mode customization options:
- Open Settings, and click Personalization.
- Click Themes.
- Click the drop-down menu in the choose your mode section, and select Custom.
- Click the Choose your default Windows mode drop-down, and select light or dark.
- Click the Choose your default app mode drop-down, and choose light or dark.
- Scroll down, and select a custom accent color.
- Scroll down, and click the toggles for Show accent color on Start and taskbar and Show accent color on title bars and windows borders if you want your accent color to appear in those locations.
If you want to try a high contrast theme for light sensitivity, click Contrast themes.
- Click the Contrast themes drop-down, and select one of the themes.
- Click Apply to set the high contrast theme.
Using the Windows 11 Night Light FeatureWindows 11 includes a built-in blue light filter called Night Light. The idea behind this feature is to reduce the contrast from your screen and your surroundings.
Night Light gradually shifts the color temperature of your screen from blue tones during the day to warmer orange tones at night. Since the process is gradual, you’re unlikely to notice it unless you look at a Night Light screen next to a screen without Night Light enabled.
Night Light can be used together with Windows 11 dark mode or on its own. Here’s how to turn on Night Light in Windows 11:
- Open Settings, and click Night Light.
- Night Light will turn on. To adjust the settings, click the > icon located to the right of the Night Light toggle.
- Use the slider to adjust the strength of the Night Light effect, sliding to the left for less of an effect, and to the right for a stronger effect.